What is Epilepsy Surgery?
Epilepsy surgery is an operation that extracts a region of the brain where seizures occur. When seizures often occur in a single position in the brain, epilepsy surgery is most successful. Epilepsy surgery is not the first choice of therapy, but when at least two anti-seizure treatments fail to control epilepsy, it is suggested.
Why Surgery is needed?
It is suggested when:
- The region of the brain where the seizures occur, called the seizure focus, is easily identified by your doctor.
- Expression, feeling, or action does not regulate the region to be extracted.
Epilepsy Surgery works better, when:
- Your convulsions are incapacitating.
- Epilepsy is not controlled with drugs.
Types of surgery for Epilepsy
- Resective surgery: It is the most popular surgery for epilepsy.
- Laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT): It is a less invasive surgery that uses a laser to locate a specific part of brain tissue.
- Functional hemispherectomy: It is a technique used mainly in children. It eliminates the nerves of the connection without removing individual brain sections.
- Hemispherectomy: It is an operation to eliminate one side of the brain’s folded gray matter.
Depending on the type of operation done, the effects of epilepsy surgery vary. Seizure management with medication helps in getting the desired result.
Dr. Hompriya Issar is the best Neurosurgeon in Noida who gives the best treatment for all neurological disorders, including cancers, strokes, head and spinal trauma, and brain injury, etc.